Romantic Relationships
Chapter 2 of Successful Marriages and Families
Marital Sexuality
Chapter 5 of Successful Marriages and Families
Fidelity
Chapter 6 of Successful Marriages and Families
In Chapter 2 of Successful Marriages and Families, President Hinckley Talked about the ABC's of Marriage. Not to long ago I was also in your shoes, searching for a companion. I wish I would have known these different steps while I was dating, so I wish to share them with you. The following come from George Levinger:
A. Awareness of or Acquaintance with another person
B. Buildup of the relationship
C. Continuation following commitment to a long-term relationship (which may start in marriage for many couples)
D. Deterioration or Decline in the interdependence of the couple
E. Ending of the relationship
The goal is to go through each step-- this does not have to be done in any particular order.
One of the takeaways that I had while reading this specific chapter was the section on ending the relationship. I was surprised to see this on the list of ABC's. The text talks about how it is very important to analyze the relationship and make sure you think it through before ending or going through with a marriage. I liked how it talked about comparing your relationship to the principles found in the family proclamation. I would also like to note that it is important to feel good about marrying a person, but it is not always that God will tell you exactly who to marry. In my experience it is better to express your choice to God and see how you feel.
Chapter 5 of Successful Marriages and Families discusses marital sexuality.
After one has made the marriage decision and entered into a covenant marriage, it is now appropriate to take part in marital sexuality.
A takeaway from this section that I had was that it is very important to talk openly with your children concerning sex. There was a great example of this in the text. A mother was reading aloud to a child when the child interrupted saying, "Mom, is sex better than candy?" The mother then replied, "Oh yes dear, with your husband in an eternal marriage, sex is far better than candy." This mother taught her daughter that it is okay to talk about sex with her, that it is important to be in an eternal marriage and that it is a beautiful thing.
I would like to create the same safe environment with my children concerning intimacy. I believe it is important to talk about the sanctity and sacredness of it and when it is appropriate to do such things.
Finally, I would like to discuss chapter 6, Honoring Marital Vows with Complete Fidelity.
A thought that stood out to me from this chapter was emotional, fantasy infidelity. This kind of infidelity seems easier to overlook to me than other forms. One example I really liked was that of imagining yourself with another person. This is not faithful and could be hurting your relationship. It is not appropriate to imagine yourself with a celebratory, past boyfriend, or anyone but your sweetheart.
In my life I have committed to be completely loyal to my dear husband. I would hate to let something like this get in the way of our love for one another. I make it a point to always focus on my sweetheart and not to let my mind wander to other men.

Comments
Post a Comment