Skip to main content

The Proclamation & Sharing and Defending Family Proclamation Principles


The Proclamation

The Family a Proclamation to the World explains beautifully what a family has the potential to be. I learned from chapter 29 of Successful Marriages and Families that this proclamation helps us to see the eternal perspective of the family. It helps me to understand the family before, during and after this life. These things can also be understood by a child if we teach them. 

I love the examples given in the text of different ways to use the proclamation as a family. One example was to memorize the proclamation as a family. Another included referring to the proclamation often while discussing every day things such as the news. A family decided to use different paragraphs each week from the proclamation to guide FHE lessons.

I was inspired by this message and have the desire to refer to the proclamation often with my children. I think it is very important to be aware of what the proclamation states especially in this day and age. I think that hanging it on the wall of our home will also contribute to teaching our children it's truths and feeling the spirit that comes from it. 

Chapter 29 

I decided to end this blog by discussing the importance of defending the truths and principles found in The Family a Proclamation to the World. 

Joseph Smith taught that once we taste of the sweetness that comes from the truths of the eternal family, we will not be content with blessing our family alone. I feel this desire to share what I know with the world and to stand up for what I believe in-which is not always easy. 

I was impressed with the example of a young man, "Richard" who taught his friend what he knew to be right. The friend told him that he planned to move in with his girlfriend and that they may get married some day but there were not any official plans yet. Richard decided to take this opportunity to teach him what he knew to be right. He tactfully explained to him that cohabitation could actually have a negative effect on the relationship and that it would be wise to plan on getting married. The friend admitted he knew it wasn't right, but he wanted to do it anyway. Even though he went through with his plans anyway, Richard was able to plant a seed of goodness and truth.

As I was thinking about how to apply these chapters to my life, I decided to make it a greater priority to understand the information in The Family a Proclamation to the world. I believe that doing this will help me teach my own family and the families around me through word and example. I am grateful for the knowledge that I have been blessed with concerning the family unit. I know that families are eternal and that we can be the happiest through living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 










Comments